Restaurant: Zauo Shinjuku-ten
Address: Shinjuku Washington Hotel 1F, 3-2-9, Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
Nearest Station: JR Shinjuku Station South Exit
Open Hour: [Mon-Fri] from 11:30 to 14:30 (L.O.14:00) and 17:00 to 23:00 (L.O.22:00) , Sat, Sun, Hol 11:30 to 23:00(L.O.22:00)
Price: [Lunch] 2,000 yen - 2,999 yen, [Dinner] 4,000 yen - 5,999 yen
Credit Card: (VISA, MASTER, JCB, AMEX, Diners))
Seats: 250 seats (tables, a room, kotatsu set)
Menu : English menu available
Zauo has an astonishing scenery from the entrance where you will find a giant wooden boat set in the middle of the room making it look as if it is floating on the water. Then the next unusual or rather shocking scenery you will come across is the considerable amount of live fish swimming in the water right next to the boat.
In Zauo, you can experience to catch the fish and eat it right away after the chef cooks it for you. Have seats in the rooms that are very Japanese style which are as good as the ones on the boat, but if you want to have the seats on the boat where you can see people enjoying fishing, it would be better to book them in advance.
The effect of the massive boat placed in the center of the room is really overwhelming, but what makes it so different about Zauo compare to the other restaurants that serve raw fish is, not only the entertainment they provide for the customers, but also the freshness of the fish.
How fresh can it get if you can catch the fish that is still swimming in the water?
We have caught the red snapper (2,499 yen) from the water without a bait (100 yen) and chose to enjoy it in both raw and fried. You may select 2 ways you would like the chefs to prepare the fish for you and they will cook and deliver it to your table right away. Though, if you do not have any grudge against how to cook the fish, it is strongly recommended that you try the raw. You may also enjoy the red snapper miso soup (399 yen), fresh seaweed salad (714 yen), and perhaps some sushi and tempura if you are still hungry. They are all exceptional without doubt.
・Total distance: 700m, 8mins （on foot）
・Starting Point : JR Shinjuku Station, South Entrance
・Steps to follow : 1 - 15
Picture Guide Information:
1. Let's start your way from JR Shinjuku Station, South Entrance.
Facing the entrance, turn around to see a traffic light BEHIND you.
2. DO NOT cross the street but make a RIGHT turn by following the arrow. Go down this street for about 150 meters until you reach the intersection.
3. When you get to the intersection, cross the street and go further straight for about 200 meters.
You will find a convenience store to your right.
4. Cross this intersection and pass the convenience store to your right. Keep walking straight for another 50 meters until you reach the next intersection.
5. When you reach the intersection, follow the arrow carefully.
After you pass the intersection, take the left street as shown on the picture. Go straight ahead for about 100 meters more until you reach the next intersection.
6. When you reach the intersection, cross the street and make a right turn.
7. Go straight for about 60 meters. You will find the intersection ahead of you.
8. Make a left turn.
9. Walk straight for about 90 meters and you will find Washington Hotel to your left.
10. Here is the entrance of the Washington Hotel.
11. Go inside the hotel.
12. After you go inside, make a right turn.
13. Go straight ahead for about 30 meters until you find the escalator to your left.
14. Go ahead and pass the escalator and make a left turn. Then you will find your destination to your right.
15. Enjoy the unique experience in Zauo （ざうお）!