Shinjuku Gyoen (新宿御苑)
Shinjuku Gyoen is considered to be one of the most important gardens from Meiji era that has a size of 144 acres of 3 distinctive styles (French, English and Japanese). It is so big that you may not be able to walk around to see everything in one day but considering it is only 200 yen for the admission fee, it may be one idea to come back next day. The gardens are simply magnificent and worth to watch especially the beautiful Japanese gardens with a fine specimen of traditional architecture.
Address: 11 Naito-cho, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0014, Japan
Open hour: 09:00AM - 4:00PM (Closes at 04:30PM)
Close: Mondays, and New Years (12/29～1/3)
*If Monday is on national holiday, it will be open but closed on next
Closest station and exits :
JR Shinjuku Station, South East Entrance
Good day to visit:
Sunny day, weekday, morning
・Total distance: 600m, 7mins （on foot）
・Starting Point : JR Shinjuku Station, South East Entrance
・Steps to follow : 1 - 13
Let's start your way from Shinjuku Station, South East Entrance.
1. This is how Shinjuku South East Entrance looks like. Follow the arrow to the stairs BEHIND you.
2. Downstairs to the RIGHT.
3. After you come downstairs, turn RIGHT and you will see this view. But do not go under the bridge.
4. Stop before you go under the bridge. Make a left turn to cross the street.
5. After you cross the street, you will see the street ahead of you. Make sure the bridge is on your upper right.
Walk straight for about 250m until you reach the intersection where you will find a traffic light ahead of you.
6. Keep walking straight until you reach the traffic light.
7. When you find the traffic light ahead of you, cross the street and keep walking straight for another 200m.
8. Keep walking straight until you find the traffic light ahead of you.
9. When you reach the traffic light, cross the street and make a right turn.
10. Make a right turn and then make a left turn.
11. Walk straight for another 50m and you will find an entrance to Shinjuku Gyoen ahead of you.
12. Here is the entrance to the Shinjuku Gyoen. Go inside and find the ticket office.
13. Enjoy the experience in Shinjuku Gyoen （新宿御苑）! The ticket is 200 Yen for an adult over 15 and 50 Yen for a child.