Nijo Castle (二条城)
Address: 541 Nijojocho, Nakagyo Ward, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture 604-8301
Open hour: 8:45 am – 4:00 pm
Fee: Adult 600 Yen, Junior High and High School Students 350 yen, Elementary School 200 yen
Closest station and exits :
JR Kyoto Station Central Gate Exit
Bus : B1, B2
Good day to visit:
Nijo Castle, which has been chosen by the UNESCO as a World Heritage, is one of the most valuable historical sites of Ancient Kyoto. The castle was founded by Ieyasu Tokugawa 400 years ago who ordered all the feudal lords in Western Japan to contribute to the construction of the castle during Tokugawa Shogunate. Step inside the castle to look for the beautiful arts that are very rare to see from the ancient time. You would be amazed of their beautiness that has so much sophisticated thoughts and deepness put into every detail. The astonishing scenery of the Japanese garden that sits quietly next to the castle is also something very worth to see. The way the garden creates such atmosphere somehow makes people calmly speechless. When you are visiting Kyoto, make sure not to leave the area without visiting Nijo Castle.
・Total distance: 4.5 km, 20min
・Starting Point : JR Kyoto Station Central Gate Exit
・Steps to follow : 1 - 9
Let's start your way from "JR Kyoto Station Central Gate (中央口)". It's at 1F, Kyoto Tower side.
1. Once you step outside and turn back, you will be able to see the big "JR Kyoto Station" signboard.
Now facing this signboard, turn around and start walking.
2. You will find bus stations ahead.
3. Cross the street and make a left turn at the second street.
4. Walk straight for about 30m and you will find B1 to your right.
5. Here is B1. Take the bus from here and get off at Nijo Castle.
6. After getting off from the bus at Nijo Castle, turn around and follow the arrow.
7. Walk straight for about 20m and make a right turn.
8. Then make a left turn and you will find your destination to your right.
9. This is the ticket office at Nijo Castle. Enjoy the best sightseeing spot in Kyoto!