When you are in Ryogoku to see the traditional Sumo wrestling, Chanko Tomoegata is a "must go" place or rather a cliche to have its outstanding Chanko Nabe. It is a stew like dish traditionally served to Sumo wrestlers which usually contains cabbages, meatballs, and udon noodles in a tasty soy sauce or miso based soup. In this restaurant, the fresh seasoned ingredients are beautifully cooked in a stew pot with a remarkable depth of flavour. It is just marvelous right down to the last sip.
There are 3 types of Chanko for lunch, Komusubi (1,940 yen), Makuuchi (1,295 yen), and Juryou (860 yen), respectively which the ingredients of the Chanko in this restaurant change depending on which day of the week you are visiting. Try one of them since you are in Ryogoku and everyone on your table may be blown away by how good it is. For your information, if you are looking for a decent Chanko Kaiseki, they have set courses starting from 5,250 yen too.
Restaurant: Chanko Tomoegata (ちゃんこ巴潟)
Address: 2-17-6, Ryogoku, Sumida-ku, Tokyo
Nearest Station: JR Ryogoku Station
Open Hour: [Mon～Fri] 11:30～14:00, 17:00～23:00 (L.O.22:00),
[Sat,Sun, Hol] 11:30～14:00, 16:30～23:00 (L.O.22:00)
Close: June - Aug every Monday, New Years holidays
Price Range: [Lunch]￥1,000～￥1,999, [Dinner]￥4,000～￥4,999
Credit Card: (VISA, JCB, AMEX)
Seats: 300 seats
・Total distance: 200m, 3 mins （on foot）
・Starting Point : JR Ryogoku Station, East Exit
・Steps to follow : 1 - 6
1. Facing Ryogoku Station East Exit ticket gate, turn around to start your way.
2. You will find a narrow street right next to FUJIYA. Go take this street.
3. Walk straight for about 90m and make a right turn at the 2nd street.
4. Here is the 2nd street. Make a right turn.
5. Walk straight for about 130m and you will find your destination to your right.
6. Enjoy your meal at Chanko Tomoegata (ちゃんこ巴潟)!