Have you ever heard of "kushi tempura" before? The skewered and deep fried mixed in one? Neither did we. Tempura and kushi are both traditional fried cuisines in Japan and the only major difference between the "tempura" (deep fried) and the "kushi" (skewered) is that they are using different battered coating. Tempura is made of water, weak flour and eggs. On the other hand, kushi is made of water, flour, eggs and bread crumbs. If you mix them together, it will make a good kushi tempura which is served in Dandanya. The new way of having tempura, we must say, is a skewered deep fried which looks exactly like a kushi but tastes like tempura. But what made us even surprised was that it was seriously a completion of the masterpiece as if Dandanya has accomplished a new way of having perfect mixture of kushi and tempura. The golden crispy battered coating of the kushi tempura that makes a great sound each time you make a bite is phenomenal. It is nothing like kushi or tempura which is something that you can enjoy as a new type of food to say at least. Meanwihle, Dandanya has few set courses of Kushi Tempura from 3,000 yen to 6,000 yen that includes rice, miso soup, and some Japanese pickles as the side dishes. Believe it or not, we loved it very much and are willing to go back anytime. If you have never tried their kushi tempura before, we strongly recommend you do.
・Total distance: 400m, 5 mins （on foot）
・Starting Point : JR Shinjuku Station, South Entrance
・Steps to follow : 1 - 9
1. Facing the entrance, turn around to see a traffic light BEHIND you.
2. DO NOT cross the street but make a RIGHT turn by following the arrow. Go down this street for about 150 meters until you reach the intersection.
3. When you get to the intersection, cross the street and make a RIGHT turn.
4. Walk straight for about 40m. You will make a left turn at the 1st street.
5. Make a left turn at the 1st street.
6. Walk straight for about 150m. You will make a right turn at the 3rd street.
7. Make a right turn at the 3rd street.
8. Walk straight for about 40m and you will find your destination to your left.
9. Enjoy your meal at Kushi Tempura Dandanya (串天ぷら 段々屋)!